Travelling with the whole family is certainly a unique experience but it can also be tiring, especially when you have to prepare the suitcase for children. From the age of 5/6, it can be comfortable and fun for the child to have a small coloured suitcase to use as hand luggage on an airplane or as a backpack with the necessary items to keep at hand. If the child is small, everything you need will go into your parents’ suitcases and for this reason it is important to try to carry only the essentials, especially if you are travelling by plane or if you have space and weight limits. But it is not only the means of transport that affects the list of things to take on the trip because there are many factors to consider: first of all the type of destination, then the climate and the activities that will be carried out. Then, the age of the child is fundamental: children of 6 months have different needs from children of 6 years.
Before leaving, I suggest you first of all to contact the facility where you will be staying and find out what services are provided: some family hotels provide customers with camping beds, bottle warmers, night lights, a service of assistance from a paediatrician, etc. … so you can avoid bringing with you some accessories. In addition, it is advisable to locate any points of sale specializing in products for children where you can refuel and also the hospital facilities to which to turn in case of emergency.
If you are approaching your departure and want advice on what to take on a trip with your children, here is a list of useful items!
If you are approaching the start and want advice on what to take with your children, here is a list of useful items!
For newborns (up to 6 months)
- Cradle: if not provided by the hotel.
- Sheets and cover for cot and pram
- Mosquito net for wheelchair protection
- Empty plastic bags: for dirty diapers.
- Needed for changing diapers: ointment, talcum powder and wipes.
- Clothes: rompers, tank tops, panties
- Dummy and dummy holder
- Toys and music boxes
- Bathtub for the bath
- Soap for the bath
- Milk powder
- Baby bottles and bottle warmers
- Sterilizer for feeding bottles
- Detergent for washing the feeding bottle and brush
Small children (up to 3 years)
- Cot, sheets and pillow: if not provided by the hotel.
- High chair: if not provided by the hotel.
- Clothes: jerseys, tank tops, trousers and t-shirts in sufficient quantity for the duration of the holiday and with some extra changes considering that children get dirty more easily.
- Underwear: socks and panties.
- Bottle feeding
- Homogenized and pappine
- Toilet adapter: if you have already started to use it
For older children (ages 3 and up)
Older children in addition to a change of clothes suitable for the duration of the holiday may require:
- Favorite toys or plush toys
- Specific shampoo for children
- Specific shower gel for children
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Seat: for car journeys
- Colors and paper for drawings
- Portable DVD player with earphones
- Juices of the future
- Cookies, snacks and snacks for the trip
- Pillow for sleeping during the journey
- Backpack for excursions
To wear always
- Waterproof jacket: in summer and winter.
- High protection specific sun cream: both at sea and in the mountains.
- Sun glasses
In the mountains or in winter
- Cap, scarf and gloves
- Jacket / Quilt
- Thermal pants
- Sweaters or Fleece
- Snow / ski sled
At the sea
- Sun hat / bandana hat
- Swimsuit: at least a couple
- Beach towel
- Life buoy or armrests
- Beach games: shovel, bucket, ball, Frisbee, etc.
- Umbrella or tent : to protect them from the sun’s rays.
- Sandals: with rubber sole for walking even in the water.
First aid kit
- Anti-inflammatory / analgesic: in case of fever or headache
- Drugs for intestinal and digestive disorders
- Medicines for car sickness / sea / air: there are also bracelets designed just for children.
- Anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving ointment: for sprains and traumas.
- Antihistamines: for allergies, dermatitis or erythema.
- Sanitizing gel
- Patches of various sizes
- Disinfecting lotion
- Insect repellent spray
- Ointment for insect bites
- Instant ice
- Nail clipper
- Night lucina
- Sewing set
- Swiss Army knife
- Power adapter / converter: to connect the various devices.